Flavored Coffee - you either love it or hate it. Coffee purists believe traditionally flavored coffees compromise the integrity of the natural flavors of coffee varietals. Those that love it find comfort in flavored coffee - often having a favorite flavor of the season.
To flavor coffee beans, roasters spray flavoring oils on beans just after roasting. The oils are usually a combination of natural and synthetic chemicals, concocted by professional flavor chemists with some flavors requiring up to 100 different compounds.
If you are a coffee purist, or are looking for a healthier, natural alternative, consider flavoring your own. Using natural spices, and a few other ingredients, here are some interesting 100% natural flavors that can be added to your favorite cup without all the chemicals sprayed on the outside of the coffee bean.
There are basically 2 ways to flavor your coffee - adding the ingredients to the ground coffee for brewing or adding flavors to your coffee (in your cup) after brewing:
- During Brewing - Some ingredients can be added to the ground coffee, allowing the flavors are extracted with the hot water along with the coffee. This works well in a drip machine by adding to the brew basket. Some of the ingredients can also be added to a French Press as well.
- To Your Brewed Coffee - Adding flavors (for example, cinnamon) to the cup after brewing. Sprinkle the ingredient on top for an intense, brief burst of flavor, or stir the ingredient into your coffee for a more subtle flavor.
Thanks to the I Need Coffee blog for the following recipes and list of suggested ingredients. Remember, this is a partial list. If you have a favor flavor or something just "sounds good" - try it. "Do It Yourself" flavoring is not an exact science. It's all about what tastes good to you - so no quantities of ingredients are listed.
Sweet Home Comfort
- Coarsely grind pecans, cinnamon. Finely chop 1/4 vanilla bean. Add all to the ground coffee for extraction while brewing.
- Add sweetener (optional).
- After dinner coffee? Add a splash of your favorite Bourbon.
- Sprinkle nutmeg on top
- Serve hot, drink responsibly and don't drive.
Summer Citrus Cafe Cooler
- Zest of orange, lemon and lime added to the ground coffee for extraction while brewing.
- Add sweetener (optional).
- Serve iced.
Cocoa Mint Melody
- Muddle mint leaves and add to the ground coffee for extraction while brewing.
- Stir in ground cocoa and sweetener (optional).
- Serve hot or iced.
- Vanilla Bean
- Cinnamon Stick (ground as needed)
- Ground Nutmeg
- Ground Clove
- Ground Cocoa
- Ground Almonds
- Ground Pecans
- Ground Hazlenuts
- Fresh Mint or Spearmint
- Fresh Orange Zest
- Fresh Lemon Zest
- Fresh Lime Zest
Choose the coffee you want to use and get flavoring. Experiment - have fun! Let us know what you think, we would love to hear about any interesting recipes you create.