Sunday, July 1, 2012 at 5:41PM
Big Island Fourth of July Celebrations
Kailua-Kona ~ Wednesday July 4th ~ 5:30 - 9:00 pm
- Kailua-Kona Community Parade Committee is hosting the Kailua-Kona Independence Day Parade starting at 5:30 p.m. The parade route begins at Kekuaokalani Gym continues along Alii Drive all the way past Coconut Grove. For the parade route, visit the Parades in Kona website.
- Fireworks show at 8:00 pm
Waikoloa Beach Resort ~ Wednesday July 4th ~ 11:00 am - 9:30 pm
- Celebrate Family Fourth at Queens' Marketplace with live entertainment, balloon-sculpting by Balloon Monsoon, treats, and the Zoo Choo. The all-day event begins at 11 a.m. At 8 p.m., Johnny Shot will give a concert to accompany the fireworks display over Waikoloa Bowl at Queens' Gardens. End the night with some soothing music from Full Circle until 9:30 p.m. The proceeds will benefit The Food Basket, Hawaii Island's Food Bank. For more information, call 808-866-8822.
- Fireworks at 8:00 pm
- The entertainment schedule is as following:
- 11:00 a.m. – Honokaa HS Legacy Band
- 12:00 p.m. – Salsa Latinos
- 2:00 p.m. – I'land Boiz
- 3:00 p.m. – Life in Pursuit
- 4:40 p.m. – Vizion 20/20
- 8:00 p.m. – Fireworks show
- 8:30 p.m. – Full Circle
Hilo ~ Wednesday July 4th ~ 7:00 am - 9:00 pm
- The 2012 Hilo Bay Blast is a fun-filled day with activities planned for all ages. The action kicks off with a 7 a.m. 5K run at Liliuokalani Gardens. The two-day Hilo Bay BBQ Cook-Off will commence at 11 a.m. with judging the chili, chicken, pork spare ribs, pork, and brisket categories. Featured performances by dance groups and musicians will begin at 10 a.m. and continue until 4:30 p.m. Throughout the day, guests will enjoy games, activities, and contests at Mooheau Baseball Field. Kupuna & Ohana Comfort Stations will also be available on a first come, first served basis. The classic car show, live entertainment and skateboarding competition has been moved to the Hilo Bayfront Park canoe landing area. The Mass Transit Agency will run a free Hele-On shuttle service to assist with transportation from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. For more information, contact the Culture and Education Division at 961-8706 or Jason Armstrong, Public Information Officer, at 345-9105 or email@example.com
- Fireworks at 8 p.m. (from Coconut Island)
- The schedule is as following:
- 7 a.m. – VFW Post 3830's "A Salute to Our Veterans" 2nd Annual Hilo Bay 5K Run/Walk beginning at Liliuokalani Gardens
- 9 a.m. – Kupuna & Ohana Comfort Station located at makai soccer field along Kamehameha Avenue (until 9 p.m.). Free Hele-On shuttle service from Mo‘oheau Bus Terminal, Afook-Chinen Civic Auditorium and at the Hawai‘i County Aupuni Center to various events. Patrons advised to wait for shuttle at bus shelters along Kamehameha Avenue route (until 10 p.m.).
- 10 a.m.– Hawaii Classic Cruiser's Cruise Paradise 2012 Car Show & Shine at Hilo Bayfront Park canoe landing area with Dennis Gage from "My Classic Car" signing autographs (until 4 p.m.). Live entertainment at Hilo Bayfront Park canoe landing area, including Hula Halau O Na Pua Uluhaimalama, Tapiti Tahitian Group, Esther Zamora, Bonnie and Doug, Randy Lorenzo and Friends, Ol' School Band, and the Tomi Isobe Blues Band (until 4:30 p.m.).
- All Day – Children's games and contests, waterslide, and jumping castle at Mooheau baseball field. Zumba, line dancing, and special performances at adjacent bandstand
- 11 a.m. – Judging the Hilo Bay BBQ Cook-Off at Hilo Bayfront commuter parking lot next to Mooheau Park baseball field
- 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. – "Street Seen" skateboarding competition at Hilo Bayfront Park canoe landing area
- 5 p.m. – Hilo Bay BBQ Cook-Off winners announced at Hilo Bayfront commuter parking lot next to Mooheau Park baseball field
- 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. – Bayfront Highway closed. Gates at Mooheau Bus Terminal, Mooheau Park baseball field, and soccer field open for fireworks display area access
- 7 p.m. – Hawaii County Band at Mooheau Bandstand
- 8 p.m. – Fireworks display from Moku Ola (Coconut Island)
- 10 p.m. – Bayfront Highway reopens